Evan
Evan had a double ear infection with one ear drum pulsating to the point of almost rupturing. he started with a headache on Saturday. Sunday he had a low grade fever in the morning and the headache was really bothering him. I kept asking if his ear hurt and he said "no just my head." Sunday afternoon his fever spiked and he threw up. Then his fever seemed to go down and he said he felt much better. I kept him home on Monday just to be safe. He had a low grade fever that disappeared with Tylenol and seemed fine. I told my boss I would be in on Tuesday as the day went on and he continued to feel fine. Between 5 and 6 o'clock his low grade fever came back. I figured this was one of those viruses where late afternoon the fever would return for a few days. I was wrong. At midnight he woke up screaming that his ear hurt. I gave him Tylenol and tried to help him with a heating pad. He then screamed that his ear hurt every 2 hours all night long. I eventually started giving him half a dose of Tylenol every two hours instead of the whole thing every four and that seemed to help a little. He was screaming "I can't take it anymore! I don't want to die from a ear hurt!" I called the doctor first thing but couldn't get in until 1:00. So Chad worked from home so I could go in and then when I got home I took him to the Dr. He said both ears were infected and the bad one could burst before I got the medicine in him. He checked his throat and said it looked like the real problem was Strep. But his ear was so bad he didn't bother to culture it. So we got (very expensive) numbing ear drops and antibiotics and prescription motrin to help with the pain. By bedtime he was feeling much better. He slept all night, woke up with no fever and went to school. It took about 4 more days before I got him to eat anything. Now he is eating fine and his antibiotics finish tomorrow! He is doing well in school. I ask his teacher about all the behaviors at home that we worry about. She says she has now complaints and he is great at school. He is really starting to read. He can help read his bedtime story now. He seems to be picking it up faster than Gabi did. But then he has been listening to her sound things out for two years now. He is playing ball at the Y. Still young and sad if he doesn't get the ball. But he made a great shot from about 6-10 from the basket last week and I think the grin lasted all day! Here he is on the couch when he was sick.
and then feeling better and in the snow.
Gabi
Gabi has been doing really well. She is playing basketball. This year she was old enough to play for the community youth league. So she is in an all girls league. It is great. She is dribbling and shooting on the real (8 ft) hoop. She has so much fun. For half the hour we practice in a separate gym and every girl gets a ball and lots of turns to shoot, pass or dribble. Then the next hour we go next door to the game gym. Here they play a real game against another team of girls. The only problem is we have three very talented and tall 2nd graders on the team. they only pass to each other. And the younger smaller kids only pass to them because it is easiest to throw the ball high and let them go get it. So I don't think any of the younger girls got a chance to shoot in the game last week. Unfortunately I am coaching her team and Chad is coaching Evan's team and we are both juggling Andy between games, so we don't have any pics yet. Maybe next week. Gabi is also doing great in school. Her reading is really coming along. She can finish an entire easy reader at bedtime. And she can finish a chapter in the chapter books. Each week she continues to get all her spelling words right on her Monday morning pretest. She is then assigned a challenge list to learn for Friday's test. So far she has gotten all of those words correct on Friday too! She has math homework each night. I read the directions and think she will need help, but every night she does it all in about 5 minutes with no help from me. She continues to be a great help at home. Andy prefers her to help him with many things! Oh yeah, we had some snow here. The big kids went out and jumped on the trampoline. Gabi looked like a snowball when she came in.
Andy
Andy is a ball of energy. We laugh that he has an On and Off switch. He goes hard every minute of the day that he is awake. When you put him in bed for nap or bedtime he is quiet and asleep within seconds. Then he wakes up (by 6 to 6:30 ) every morning ready to move again. Last week Chad called and could hear Andy in the background every few seconds saying "one more time". He asked what we were doing to which I replied, "Andy is climbing up onto his bed and then jumping off and landing on me." Chad laughed, "typical Andy." He is at that adorable two year old age where everything he says makes me smile. Some of my favorites are "choo choo thomas" for train. "I know" which he says holding one finger up in the air before he takes off on his next adventure. "mama play Jungle me" he does not like to play alone (third child and never been alone?) and usually drags me along to play with him.
Funny Andy story: We went to a diner for dinner last weekend. The kids meals come with dessert. We were all about finished and I told Chad to grab the waiter so we could order the kids' dessert. Right before the waiter came over Andy said he needed to poop. I told him to wait one minute and this conversation occured.
Waiter: what would you like?
Evan: Banilla ice cream please.
Waiter: and for you?
Gabi: Chocolate ice cream please.
Waiter: And for you little man?
Andy: Poop!
Waiter: I didn't understand, what would he like?
Chad: Vanilla ice cream... He would like vanilla ice cream!
Gabi: ( as the waiter is walking away) Didn't he say Poop!?
I took a short video of him and tried to get him to talk. He will usually just say "cheese" when the camera is on him.
So I think I am now caught up and i will try to post more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment