Tuesday, November 30, 2010

stiches

Well we have had many trips to the ER as a family. We have RSV, pneumonia, broken clavicle, fractured elbow, fractured tibia, and torn Achilles. Now we can add stitches to the mix.

A couple weeks ago I was upstairs working on the computer and Andy came up to visit me. After climbing all over me for awhile I sent him on his way. On his way down the stairs he jumped the last few as he always does. Unfortunately it was a really good jump and he went all the way across the hall into the corner of the opposing wall. He screamed and I got up from the computer and went to the top of the steps. By that point my little blonde haired boy was covered in blood. His hair was bright red. He had bright red eyebrows. He had puddles of blood in his hands. I met him half way up the steps and scooped him up and took him to the bathroom. He kept yelling, "I'm leaking all over my hands!" So I put a towel on his head and washed his hands. At this point he stopped crying and was fine. I wiped his face with the towel to see where all the blood was coming from and saw a nice gash on his forehead. I had dialed Chad before this ever happened so at this point he calls me back. I said "we need stitches, meet us somewhere." He called and found out we were covered at Urgent Care so we went to the brand new one a few miles up the road.
It was 5:00 when he hit the wall and 5:30 when we got there. My friend who lives near Urgent Care met us there to watch the big kids. While I was filling out the paper work I hear Miss Joy say "Oh Andy for the love of God, Please don't sit on your head!"



Only Andy would be trying to sit upside down while profusely bleeding from the head. We were called back right away. The nurses were awesome. They said we could not do glue because it was too deep so we needed stitches. They put numbing cream on his wound first. Then came in to sew him up. First they wrapped him in a blanket like a burrito. Then one nurse went to the head of the bed and told him she was going to cover his eyes so the medicine didn't get in them. Then they started. Andy screamed with the needle of Novocaine. Then screamed each time they stuck the needle through. But he never cried. He was such a champ! And as we walked out he was just as bouncy and rambunctious as ever!

No comments: