Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Football and Cheer


Football and cheerleading is coming to an end for the year.  The kids have their last games this weekend.


As usual Gabi loved every minute of it.  She was so excited to be on a squad with all of her friends and her old coaches this year.  I am sorry, even as the mother of a year cheer leader, I still think it is more of a social event than a sport.  But the girls work hard and learn lots of cheers and have a blast doing it.  Gabi was so excited because she got to be a "flyer" this year.  She was on a knee stand.  I tried hard to get good pictures of it, but we never knew when they were about to do it.  I think her favorite part of cheering is the dance routine.  I really need to get this child in dance.  But oh, the time and money involved in that.  I am selfishly hoping she will enjoy the family karate membership instead.

As for Evan, he took some time to warm up to football.  The first night of full pads he came out in tears wanting to go home.  That whole first week was tough sending him back to the field each night.  But every night at the end of practice he would come off the field drenched in sweat, smiling ear to ear, and so proud of himself for what he accomplished.  Now at the end of the season he has come so far.  The coaches have commented on what a changed player he is.  He is still not the Star of the team for sure.  But he does his job as a lineman as best as he can.  In fact I would say he is the best lineman they have.  He also made great physical strides as the season wore on.  He is running much faster and more coordinated and this is giving him more confidence in himself even on the playground at school.  I am so proud of him and how hard he has worked!!





No comments: