We finally received news on our little Hope.
We have been waiting on a document called the Abandonment Decree. This document proves that DRC has released her as a legal orphan. After this decree there is a 30 day waiting period and then her birth certificate is released and we are free to go to court.
We found out that she DOES have an abandonment decree. However, somehow this decree was given to an agency in another country. Apparently they filed the documents for her before our lawyer did. Our Congolese lawyer and social worker have been working hard to find out what this means. They say not to worry, that they believe we can get these documents released to us. They believe that no family has been assigned to her through this agency.
So we are in a very tough time period right now while we wait to hear from the foreign agency about whether or not they will release her to us. IF they do turn her paper work over to us, then we will be further along in the process than we imagined and she could be coming home in a few short months. If they do NOT turn the paperwork over to us then we will lose her. And we will start over in the search for OUR Hope.
We know God has a plan for this beautiful little girl. And it might be to go live with a family in this foreign country. BUT we sure hope it is for us to bring her home with us.
We pray that HIS plan will be revealed to us soon!
3 comments:
Kati,
I know you have had some huge disappointments and the best way to avoid more is with knowledge and realistic expectations.I am at the end of the process of bringing home 2 school-age children from the DRC. I am thankful that the process has been fairly smooth and predictable,but not nearly as quick as it has been recently. I am with a different agency, so maybe some of the process is different, but after court which can take a few months, there is a 30 day waiting period and then a wait of up to a month to get all the documents then another month or two to get I600 (not I600a) approval from USCIS. This is where I am. But I still don't have any expectation of travel until March or April as I still need embassy appointments and visas before I can go get my children. I truly hope this little one will come home to your family, but it might take a little longer than what you are thinking. Blessings, Vicki
Praying for you guys, Kati. I'm in the same boat. Hoping resolution to all of this comes quickly!
I am currently researching agencies that can help me adopt from the DRC. Can you private message me at arbolton@gmail.com so I can ask you a couple questions about your agency and your experience? I want to make sure I pick an ethical agency that treats people fairly, is honest, and is experienced in arranging Congolese adoptions. Thank you so much.
Post a Comment