Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall Sports

Everybody is busy this fall. I am playing soccer. Chad is playing volleyball and fall ball, Gabi is cheerleading, Evan is playing soccer. Andy is playing soccer.

Evan chose soccer over football this season. He had played flag football the last two years. With his fall birthday he was going to be in flag again. So he chose to play soccer this year and then he can play tackle next year if he wants.

He seems to really be enjoying soccer. He is even getting his ball out and playing in the yard and at my games without being asked. Which for my lazy video game child is a big step! The hard thing about this season is I have not been able to watch him play. I am coaching his team. The way his league handles games is each pair of teams that are playing each other are given two fields. One for the "aggressive" kids to play 5 v 5. And one for the "non-aggressive" kids to play 5 v 5. The other coach I am working with has no soccer experience and doesn't feel comfortable coaching the "aggressives". So I coach on one field and Evan plays on the other. On top of that Chad has not been able to make it to the last two games so I don't even have any pictures or video of them. BUT Evan did score his first ever goal in the last game. And my game ended first and I got to see the last play of his game where he got a shot off after a throw in. Very Exciting!!!



Andy is playing in this same league. It is a great league that has a recreational division and also training programs and travel teams. Andy is playing in their three year old "little strikers" division. They meet for an hour during the week while the big kids are in school and just practice kicking and throwing and running. Every week I have to bribe Andy to get him there. I think because he is just tired from being at school and lunch bunch all morning. But once he is there he does great. He listens to his coach and smiles ear to ear as he attempts each drill. Here he is listening to Coach Malcolm, or "Coach Mountain" as the three year olds call him. He is a great british guy with tons of knowledge and a humor that keeps the kids listening.





Gabi is cheering again this fall. Not the sport I thought my daughter would choose, but she loves it. She gets to spend extra time with all her girl friends and then be the center of attention. What more could my social drama queen want. This week she won the spirit stick. The girl who shows the most spirit at the game wins the stick. Then she takes it home and adds some decorations to it over the course of the week. The next game she returns it for someone else to win.



She also got to be co-captain this week. Meaning she and her partner lead the team in cheers the whole game.






No comments: