Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Public Speaking

I hated public speaking. I don't know why. I was a pretty outgoing kid. I just did not like, and still don't, speaking in front of a crowd.

My daughter is the complete opposite. The bigger the crowd the better. Adults, kids, movie stars, it doesn't matter she will let them know what is up.

If you had asked Gabi what she wanted to be when she grew up-- from about 2 years old until about 5 and 1/2 she would have said "an artist". She bought paints with her birthday money. She drew and colored with all her spare time.

And then about 2 months ago... the "Hannah Montana Fever" invaded my home. We now have Hannah Montana CD's and posters and books and ponytail holders and pens and most importantly T-shirts.

So when the first school presentation of her life was assigned approximately 1 week after the "Fever" took over, Gabi chose singer as her career choice. I was all prepared to research with her what it takes to be a singer. We were going to look at pictures and read articles on the internet. But all that was unnecessary. You see my daughter had been studying Hannah Montana to see if she had what it takes before she made this important choice. Gabi already had it all figured out. She already knew what it was that she would need. I helped her organize all of her information into sections of her presentation. She picked out what props she would need. And off she went to school, full of confidence. She came home with her score card the next day. Excellent speaking voice. Organized thoughts. Perfect score!

About a week later I asked her to do her presentation for the camera. She didn't have her props and she was in a bit of a hurry to get back to her stuff. But you can kinda get the idea.

No comments: