We started out our day with a plan. We would take apart the boys current beds and reassemble them outside to see if we could sell them. We would then rearrange their room and build their new bunk beds. Afterwards we planned to take them all to the movies. Evan and Daddy wanted to see Transformers. Gabi, Andy and I were going to go to UP. Their movie started an hour before ours. I tried putting Andy to sleep in his new bed thinking he would wake up just in time to go. He was too busy playing in his new room to sleep though. So at 2:30 when the boys were leaving he heard and wanted to go too. I told him we were going but we had to wait a few minutes. No nap and all he got very upset. He insisted on putting his shoes on. So I helped him with his shoes and then we read some books while Chad and Evan left. I explained to Andy that we were going to the movies with Sissy in a few minutes. Gabi walked by then and Andy followed her out of his room. I finished cleaning up in the boys room and then followed behind them. Gabi was downstairs and I talked to her a couple times while I was putzing around waiting until time for us to leave. I had not heard from Andy and assumed he had fallen asleep downstairs somewhere like he does if he didn't get a nap. At 3:30 I called Gabi and Andy up to put their shoes on. Gabi came and Andy didn't. After Gabi got her shoes I asked her if Andy was asleep. She peeked in his room and said "no he isn't in there". I said "no I mean downstairs". She said "no he isn't down there." And at that moment somehow I knew where he was. I grabbed my keys and sprinted out into the 90 degree day to the van as fast as I could. I opened the door and he was standing there screaming. His skin was bright red. His hair was soaked. His clothes were literally dripping wet. I snatched him up and ran to the bathroom stripping his clothes off along the way. I threw him screaming into the tub and started pouring cold water over him again and again. I washed his hair and washed all the sweat off. I poured more cold water. I threw up in the toilet more than once. I couldn't stop sobbing. I dried him off and took his temperature. It was 99.8 in his ear. His skin was still red. I carried him to his room because he was still screaming for his "blankey and George". We got his Blankey - George and I held onto him on the floor. He calmed down and I just sobbed hysterically. Rocking him in my lap saying "thank you God" over and over through the tears. By this point he was back to normal. Bouncing around and wanted to go to the movies. So we went ahead. He seemed OK. His skin was still hot to touch and that lasted for about a half hour. He fell asleep on the way to the movie and I woke him up. Nervous to let him sleep. He was great through the movie. Even grasping the plot. At the end when the house fell, he said "oh no his house!" I pretty much held on to him the rest of the night. I cried most of the day. (I am not normally a crier). I am still crying as I write this.
I wanted to share this for two reasons. Number one to help me remember the details of the day God saved my son.
Number two to get the word out. LOCK YOUR CAR IN YOUR DRIVEWAY! I heard about kids dying when locked in cars and it seemed so irresponsible and frankly stupid. It happened to me! I took my eyes off him for a minute. I assumed he was safe in the play room. I should have checked on him. I will turn the alarm back on to ding when the door opens. I will bolt the door more often. I feel horrible. The lowest a mother can feel. MY son was dying while I was standing 20 yards away texting with my sister. I don't know that I will ever recover from this feeling of guilt. He was screaming for me and I wasn't saving him. Its my fault. I don't want anyone reading this to ever feel how I feel now. Or worse to actually lose your child. So please help me pass the word on to everyone. LOCK YOUR CAR. I know I will never forget again.

3 comments:
Thank you God! I love you Kati and I'm sorry you feel so much hurt. It's a mother's hurt. I am hugging you from here. Kristi
Hey Kati..my heart is pounding after reading this. I can understand your feelings (somewhat) Mother's guilt is very hard to deal with..You are a wonderful, caring , loving & very patient Mom..Like you said Thank God Andy is OK..try to hold on to that! Love ya Kati..
Sue
Oh Kati, I got all teary reading that. How scary for you. You're right you hear stuff like that and think "This can't happen to me." Thank you for sharing that.
Post a Comment