Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Little Swimmers

So excited to say that Gabi and Evan passed the swim test at the pool today. They had to swim the length of the lap pool and then tread water for one minute. As most of you know the treading water has been what has prevented them from passing before. They have been practicing all summer and yesterday decided to give it a try.
Gabi said she didn't want to but I convinced her. I said there is no pressure. If you don't pass you just stay right where you are. If you do pass you get to go on the diving board and swim in the deep. Just try. So she agreed to try and she went first. She was awesome. She swam hard all the way there and paddled her little heart out during the treading water. The best smile I have seen on her face in a long time occured as she climbed out of the pool. She ran back down jumped in on me and gave me a huge hug. I was so proud.There were about 8 of them getting tested and Evan had to wait for awhile before his turn. He finally got to go and gave a terrible performance of swimming. He can do much better, but for some reason kept heading for the side instead of the other end. He eventually made it and she passed him enough to try treading. I am thinking to myself there is no way he will make it. He used too much energy swimming there. But he paddled and paddled and survived until she blew the whistle and he did it!! He was so excited he jumped out and went immediately to cannon ball off the diving board. He was so tired I was worried about him jumping over and over and made sure Chad was keeping a close eye on him in the deep.

Until you have been a parent who goes to the pool consistantly you have no idea what a big deal this is to your kids. A huge step in independence. Those smiles make all the hard work worth it!

No comments: