
We had our first snow of the season. Normally when it is going to snow the news goes crazy predicting a storm of the century. They hadn't really said anything other than it might snow so I didn't think we would get anything but flurries. It snowed hard. Big, giant, wet flakes all day and into the night. The ground was still warm from 55 degrees the day before so we didn't get a lot of accumulation. Nearby friends were able to sled and even built big snowmen. We got about 2 inches on the deck, but woke up to green grass. Strange.
In the midst of the snow storm we set out for the annual Vanguard (Chad's work) Holiday Gala. They always hold a family event. This year it was the circus. It is a small one ring circus. But that is enough to thoroughly entertain three children seven and under. We had a really nice time.

The kids all voted that their favorite act was "Slinko".

This was a headless creature that seemed to have slinkies for arms and legs. He could stand up and stretch out and was all rainbow colored. Very hard to describe, but cool. There were monkeys and acrobats.

Elephants and jugglers. There was a dare devil that climbed up on the ring of doom. It looked like a hamster wheel 50 feet high on top of a pendulum. He started the bottom swinging and then the entire pendulum went around while he was in the wheel. Then he climbed out and stood on top of the wheel while the whole thing was spinning. Andy said "Oh no mommy he will get a big boo-boo!" Evan told daddy "I would fall to my doom!". Gabi hid behind her hands she was sure he was going to fall and couldn't watch.

After the circus we dropped Gabi off at her very first slumber party. Her cheerleading coach had the whole team over. Gabi was so excited she was in tears during the circus afraid that she would miss it. She had a great time and stayed up until 1:30. The house seemed strange without her here. She is such a great kid. Last week I came home from working a full day and picked her up from school and went straight to bed with a migraine. She did her homework. Watched her brothers. Dusted and mopped while I laid down for an hour.
Today we finally got the christmas tree up. Unfortunately I left the camera in the car after the circus and my christmas tree pictures are all foggy. The kids were very excited. We got them each a new ornament.

And we had a Yellowstone ornament to remember our trip last summer. Andy put all of his ornaments on the same branch.


He was thrilled with the final product.
They were most excited to start our advent calendar. Its a tree wall hanging that they add an ornament to each day.

I was amazed at how many ornaments they remembered and started claiming as the ones they would hang this year. I scaled back the decorations this year due to two very frisky kitties. The village I usually set up has small people and trees and flag poles and such that go with it. Those had to stay in the boxes this year. But I did set up the buildings. Gabi was helping me. I got the first box out and she set it up. Then she told me where she would put the "candy shop, house, fire station, and school" before I took their boxes out. I didn't realize the village had made such an impression on her that she would remember all the buildings. Thanks Oma for those traditions!
A great weekend to get us all in the holiday spirit. The only problem is I had no time for shopping. 18 shopping days left and I have only purchased a total of 4 gifts!
No comments:
Post a Comment