Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Nutcracker




Gabi's school performed The Nutcracker last night. She was hostess: handing out programs, leading out dancers, cleaning up stage and narrator and Chinese dancer and sang a duet. She loves the stage. They have been practicing for this since September. A week ago I asked her to get out her lines for narrator to make sure she knew them. Come to find out, they had been skipping past those lines in rehearsals and she had never even looked at them before. There was a full page front and back, about the history of the ballet, that she was to split with another girl. We both panicked a little and I reminded her that she is very good at memorizing lines and we got to work. The next morning she could quote it word for word. I was so proud of her. Then that afternoon the music teacher called and said she had dropped the ball on the narrators and that their lines would be in front of them. So even though Gabi knew all her lines she was looking at the paper during the performance. I wish someone had directed her to look out at the crowd more often. Her singing was fantastic. She took her dance routine very seriously. Then almost missed her duet changing back into her narrator costume. Since she wasn't even on the stage I didn't have the camera ready so I missed taping most of the song. The video is horrible. I just used my regular camera. I think a new video camera is in my future if she keeps up this passion! Her music teacher says she has a phenomenal voice and recommended we sign her up for a classical children's choir.

The kids all did a great job. The singing was well done. The main characters were cute and funny. The dancers all worked very hard. I was impressed. They really made the most out of very limited resources and space.

The logistics of the event were not that great. OK they were horrible. It is a very small school with a very small gymatorium. Those in charge decided to combine the 4th grade holiday concert with the play. So there were three grades performing. All the families of three grades were expected to fit in chairs in half of a tiny gym. There were more people standing than sitting. Many were left to stand in the hallway and try to watch through the doors. Our seats were about halfway back so there was no way to see or take pictures. So I gave up my seat and stood against the wall. Evan wanted to be with me so he did the same. Andy sat on Chad's lap, so we were down to one chair. Then after the concert started our friend and his two young boys showed up. Turns out he wasn't late. He had followed some cars that were parking in the field next to the school. His car got completely stuck in the mud. So his Andrew sat on Chad's other knee and Samuel stood with Evan and I and Nate went to go call AAA to tow his car out of the mud. Towards the end of the performance (over and hour and a half later) both little Andrews were exhausted and used "I have to poop" as an excuse to get out. Nate took his boys and left. Chad took Andy to the potty and he fell asleep on the was back to the gym. Even though the boys were miserable and it was hot and stuffy it was still a great night. I got teary as the kids each took their turn bowing for the audience.

I am so glad Gabi has found her "thing". Now I just need help being the mommy of a performer because I stayed as far away from stages as possible when I was a kid (and now)!

No comments: