Friday, March 5, 2010

There's someone in the kitchen with Mama

We had green eggs and ham at school for Dr Seuss's birthday. The kids helped us scramble the eggs and add the magic green potion. It was funny because it really worked just like the book. The kids all said they were not going to eat it. I then dared them to be brave. One of the kids tried the ham and then they all at least tried it. Most found that they liked one or the other. I was surprised at how many of them actually ate the eggs! Andy wanted nothing to do with the eggs. He did try the ham and he liked it. He even says " I will eat with fox and box and train and rain and boat and under water!"

Andy is a cereal fiend lately. He eats at least two bowls every morning, sometimes three. However this might be the only food I get in him all day so I go with it.
Gabi loves to cook. She says she is going to be a rock star, artist, teacher, mommy in that order. But I think she might be a chef. She loves to cook as most kids like to be in the kitchen. But she also loves to read cook books. She asks for them for gifts, gets them out at the library, brings them home from the school library. She even has her own stash of cooking supplies that she keeps in her room and brings out when I let her take over the kitchen. On this particular day she made brownies. The only assistance I give her these days is setting up the hand mixer and getting the hot food out of the oven. She follows the directions and prepares the food herself. Well in her Christmas presents she received some cake decorating supplies so she and the boys went to work on these brownies. Don't they look delicious. Actually they were pretty good if you could get past the crunchyness. I don't think the colored sugar sprinkles belong on brownies myself.

Gabi also got this really cool cookie dough from the last school fundraiser. It is from crayola and comes in four tubs of different colors. I give the kids a little of each color and let them create a cookie then bake them in the toaster oven for that night's dessert. They are loving it. I will have to order more when we are out. It's like play dough that turns into a sugar cookie when you are done. This night they made an alien, a music note, and a "golefish". I will let you decide who made what. (I might have helped Andy with his)

No comments: