Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Contact


I don't think anyone who has not been through the adoption process will ever understand what it is like to fall in love with a child half way around the world. And only know her by one picture. I have every detail I can see in that picture memorized. The little gold earrings in her ears. The scar under her left eye. The big beautiful brown eyes. The sparkly buttons on her overalls.
We only have one picture, a name and a birthday. That and a couple of medical facts written in doctorese and in French.
In two weeks our agency director will be traveling to DRC to meet our little girl. She promised to take pictures and possibly even video for us. She will try to answer any questions we have about her. AND we get to send her a care package! I am beyond thrilled to let our little Hope know we are coming for her. To send her a little love from home. And I absolutely CANNOT wait to receive more pictures of her. I will try not to get my hopes up about video. And have my most important question answered. What language does she speak? The country's official language is French. And that is what is taught in school. However since she is not old enough for school, she more than likely speaks the local language of Lingala. Mommy needs to learn some words to communicate with her!
Here a picture of our package. It has to fit in a 2.5 gallon Ziploc. We sent two outfits, two pairs of shoes, a pack of underwear, a blanket, a coloring book and crayons, a Disney princess doll, and a photo album of all of us. I labeled our pictures with our names and the french word for our relationship to her. I put her picture in the album cover so she can feel ownership.

We are coming sweet girl!

No comments: