Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dance Party 2010

The kids elementary school had their annual dance party last weekend. Chad took Gabi last year and was quite elated when he realized it was my turn to go. Since Evan is now in school I had both the big kids and Chad took Andy on a Daddy and baby boy date.

We went early to participate in the school dinner. We each had a couple of slices of pizza and the kids were off sitting with their various friends.

Then we all headed to the gym for the "dance". They had it all dark with a DJ and lights. It was loud and it was crazy and I could see why Chad opted out. But I had fun. They had chairs set up along the outside walls for parents to sit. I do not often get to sit back and watch my kids interact with their friends. Among the music and the darkness they did not feel "watched" at all and were just being their true selves. Gabi as everyone knows loves to be center stage and she immediately went up front and started dancing with one of the boys who was very into it. Several people said to me "Gabi really has rhythm." And she does, but she has never had a dance lesson in her life, so what she does with her rhythm is not always pretty. But she does not care. She just likes to dance and sing!
For the most part many boys and girls were just running laps around the gym and then sliding on their knees on the floor. My son did this many many times. But he also danced. And I have never laughed so hard. He was so into it and was break dancing. Where does a boy born in 2003 learn to break dance????? It was hilarious. I love that kid! There was a photographer taking pictures out in one of the hallways and also the water fountains were in the cafeteria. So it was also funny to watch them feeling brave and free and leaving the dance mostly just because they knew they could.
The group dances were all very cute. They did the chicken dance, macarena, cha cha, etc... the kids were all into it. It was so fun to be able to watch Evan keep up with the steps. Seeing him in this atmosphere was all new to me.
The pictures and video are horrible. It was dark and my camera batteries ran out so most of the pix were taken with my phone. I will post the best of what I have.





Cute story to leave you with. This is the conversation we had on our way to the dance.

Gabi: Hey Mommy, Evan and I were practicing the tango in the basement before we left. Just in case there are any slow songs we wanted to be ready. Evan could not quite lift me up off the floor. But do not worry. Li Li is a lot lighter than me. Evan will swift her right off her feet!

No comments: