Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gabi's Earrings

Gabi finally asked to get her ears pierced. I had been waiting since she turned 6. I wasn't going to bring it up, but was ready to get them pierced whenever she asked about it. About a month before Christmas she says "when can I get my ears pierced?" I told her it was OK with us, but Christmas was coming. Her reply: "What... Its not like Santa is going to come in my room and pierce my ears!"

No he did not come pierce her ears in the night. She did however open a present from us that held a coupon good for getting your ears pierced. She treasured this coupon and kept it safe. She told me that she would like to go get them pierced on a special girls day out shopping with me and Nanni and Kasie. Nanni was worried that she would be sore and moody during vacation, and Kasie was working all week so we put it off until New Year's Day. We got dolled up and went out to lunch and shopping at the outlets. It was a great day.

When it came time to pierce her ears Gabi was very excited and brave. She climbed right up in the chair. We talked her out of the gawdy rainbow flower earrings and she chose cute white gold flowers with pink petals. I asked that they pierce both ears at the same time. They agreed. I was very impressed with the whole process. Everything was seperately packaged and the piercers scrubbed and wore gloves and everything. The girls also taught Gabi how to care for her ears afterwards. Gabi flinched as they pierced and then looked at me. I smiled so she smiled back. Then she was all good. She looked at them and was so happy. She said "It hurt and I almost cried, but I didn't want too." I can't get over how something so small and simple has changed her appearance.

I can't totally credit the earrings with the change though. She has had a crazy growth spurt. All the shirts and jeans I bought her just three months ago to start school are too small. For the first time in her life she actually has clothes that are too small at the waist. In the spring she could wear size 4 pants. They were way short but she wore them as capris. Now at Christmas she can't button her size 6x/7 jeans. Crazy.

Ready to Go.
Waiting and ready!

The Big Moment:

It hurt!

So Proud of Herself!

No comments: