Monday, June 22, 2009

Cross Country Day 8

It's a great day at KOA. That is what we hear repeatedly as we travel around. Today was a big travel day. We tried to get up and moving earlier, but still didn't get on the road until after 10:30. The kids and I went up to the playground and jumping pillow while Pops finished up hooking up the car. Once we were on the road we had a nice day of travel. Pops decided to travel up highway 75 in order to drive through the small towns and see all the plains and farms. It was very pretty. We started out in Kansas. Then we went through Nebraska. We stopped in a little town called Auburn Nebraska for a picnic. The town had a beautiful park in the center of it with a playground and community pool and a tank. Yep, a tank. The kids loved this and their grandfather let them climb all over it. I was about to yell at them to get down when this thought occured to me "it's a tank, how would they possibly hurt it!". It was HOT. Over 100 again and the kids were more than ready to get back in the air conditioned RV and hit the road.

Did you ever see the Dora the Explorer pirate piggy movie. It was on during the day. There is this section where they sing "Isa turn the wheel, turn the wheel Isa. Isa turn the wheel, turn the wheel Isa. I'm turnin the wheel I'm turnin the wheel, I'm turnin the Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!" The kids turned it into "Pops turn the wheel....." and sang it the rest of the day. I don't think I will ever get it out of my head. I had almost forgotten and Gabi started singing it in the shower.

Anyways, back to our day. After the picnic I took Andy back to the bed to nap. While he was sleeping Pops took a wrong turn and we ended up driving right passed the college world series. On the night of game 3. Nanni loves to watch the college world series and thinks that qualifies her to say she has been there. I am not so sure. We went from Nebraska to Iowa and then on to South Dakota. We arrived in Sioux City, SD at about 7:00. We quickly fed the kids dinner and let them swim. According to the thermometer outside it was still 101. Can children like Andy sunburn at 8:30 at night? At 9:00 we were done with showers (Nice bath house. I am going to be a campground bath house expert by the end of this!). We played Guess Who Extra and Connect 4 and got the kids in bed at a reasonable time. The kids beat Pops twice. Tomorrow we head west in South Dakota and then by Wednesday we should be in Rapid City to see the "presidents heads on a rock"!

No comments: